The Big Bank - Basel, CH

July 6, 2010 (on location) The tall building there is the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, the central bank of central banks. The history of the bank and the power it wields in the global economy make for some interesting reading if you get a chance. Anyway, I see it often, as it sits there near the SBB main train station, where I take travelers before they head off to other parts of Europe. I drew it today as I was sitting across the street on the grass. 8 x 11 in. - 2 hr. pen/watercolor wash

7 comments:

Rene Fijten said...

The building looks as shaky as the financial world ;)
You are really good in these kind of architecture drawings. I had to zoom in to get the details. What is the format?

Rob Carey said...

Thank you, Rene. This sketch is in the same sketchbook as the one below. It is a color watercolor, but I often prefer scanning it in only gray tones.

Rene Fijten said...

I wouold not have guessed, the B&W works very good in this one, probably better than in colour.

Pierre Raby said...

Great drawing Rob, also enjoyed your Freiburg colored sketch.
Take care!

Rob Carey said...

thanks, Rene- I'm a little bit color blind, so this works for me.

And, thank you Pierre. I'm hoping to get out in the next couple of days and do another city sketch around here.

siete said...

Dear friend Rob, It has been a long time without comunication between us, I hope all is well with you and family. Today I've entered into your home/blog and once again I musta say that I love your drawings, your sketches are wonderful...it seems that you never rest, je,je.
Continue this way, so that, those who enter, me between them, can enjoy your works, and your narrations.

Big hug,my friend.

Enrique.

Rob Carey said...

Enrique- thank you. I will try to keep up my blog. Sorry for being so wishy-washy with it! Thank you for the encouragement.