Binzen, DE


Binzen, DE, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

July 18, 2010. (on location, sitting on the church steps in Binzen) Today is Sunday, a day we set aside to go to church, have a special family meal, take time to rest and think. I realize there aren't many here in Europe who don't attend church any more. It's not that people don't appreciate quietude and beautiful music, or that they don't value goodness,beauty and truth. I think people still desire those things. Speaking as one who abandoned God for a period of time in my life, I think there is a suspicion of the church; a mistrust of those who call themselves "saved." Over time an entire culture discards its belief in the scriptures, and eventually in truth itself. Religion becomes a habit embraced only by the weak-willed, narrow-minded. (In some cases this may be true.) However, this is not the way of those who sincerely desire truth.

4 comments:

Catzia said...

Hallo Rob,

da du in Kandern lebst, nehme ich stark an, du sprichst auch deutsch?
Ich möchte dich gerne auf meinem Schwarzwald-Blog (PI-Graphiken) verlinken in der Navigation. Ist das ok für dich?
Kreative Grüße von Doro

Rob Carey said...

Ja, kein Problem- danke, Catzia.

Anonymous said...

Religion is scary. It seems less about faith and more like a protection racket. Of course it's always the bad stuff that gets the attention; I'm sure the ones who scare me are outnumbered by good, faithful people 10,000 to 1. I hope you don't think this is too awful. I won't mind if you don't post it.

I always enjoy reading your blog and especially enjoy your drawings.

Rob Carey said...

Remember, Jesus didn't get along with the religious people of his day either. At least the sinners he hung out with understood they had nothing on God.