on a Freiburg hillside today

July 19, 2010. My wife's parents left today for Munich, after a great visit, so I took an extended period of time up in Freiburg to do this sketch while sitting up above the Schwabentor on the hillside. The view was amazing, and I didn't exactly get the tower into the sketch, but I had a great time, spending 2 1/2 hours on one drawing, something I never get time to do. The weather was absolutely perfect, and the city is more amazing than ever. I even went to the Markthalle and got a plate of my favorite Arabian food.

8 comments:

Paulo J. Mendes said...

What a delightful rooftop view! You made the best of your time there, love it. Great shadows!!

Rene Fijten said...

Great view, and man, are you productive, these are not the simple 10 minute sketches.... ;)

Alex Zonis said...

What a great angle you got there! The view on these peaked roofs is just amazing! This whole roofscape has a fairytale feeling - a wonderful drawing!

Rob Carey said...

Thanks guys. It was a great day and I was able to relax and just take my time with it, as it's vacation.

dave terry said...

Rob, lovin' your stuff. I like the grays. Wonderful stuff. It sort of reminds me of All Over Coffee. Another favorite artist.
...dave

Mineke Reinders said...

This definitely puts me in the mood to go to Germany. Beautiful drawing and atmosphere.

Rob Carey said...

Thanks Dave and Mineke!

Rob Carey said...

Dave- A huge thanks to you for the tip about Paul Madonna (All Over Coffee artist). I've never seen his stuff before, and I'm an instant fan. How come I never heard of him before? Again, thanks!!