number five


Faline, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

October 18, 2010. The practice continues... working on another one of my students today, trying like crazy to push through this wall. I notice I am definitely getting faster at putting down the marks, laying on the pencil, finding the location of the eyes and nose. I'm still seeing quite a bit of distortion, but things are definitely better than before. The process of trying and failing is unbelievably valuable, I'm finding. You find yourself celebrating even the tiniest of improvements. Note: I'm going to have to redo Faline, as this portrait doesn't really capture her as well as the others- something about the eyes and smile... live and learn.

4 comments:

Rene Fijten said...

Way to go Rob. How may left?

Rob Carey said...

Eleven... but a 3rd grader asked me to draw him- and he's got a face you just have to draw.

Gateglimt said...

Beautiful! I really enjoy your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Greetings from Norway

Alex Zonis said...

Faline looks wonderful! Love how you dealt with highlights.