a shining face


Nelson Mandela, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

February 21, 2011. So many great quotes by this man. One of my favorites: "We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us: it's in everyone. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." The more I think about that quote, the more I want to live it. I do believe that we were all created in God's image, but that we each choose daily whether or not to reflect it. I confess, my natural tendency is toward selfishness, but it's when I witness true generosity or love that I am inspired to change.

2 comments:

rowlandjones said...

I love that quote about courage not being the absence of fear, but conquering a fear.

I once had a guy in his 40's sitting next to me on a plane, hugging a teddy bear all the way from Manchester to Rome. He never spoke or moved. He was petrified. People sniggered at this grown man with his teddy. I admired his courage: his wife told me they were going on holiday, knowing he'd have to fly there and back. That's courage. And love.

Rob Carey said...

The older I get, the younger the pilots look to me. I try tell myself it's perfectly normal to be sitting in a hollow metal tube soaring 30,000 feet above the ground. What strange risks we take with hardly a thought... and yet, to live in fear is not to live at all.