mirror work

mirror Oct. 21, 2011

October 22, 2011. I hesitate to post these attempts at self-portraits, but maybe it will encourage someone out there to see the struggle and try it him/herself. It really is a struggle, because you're not working from a photo, you're looking at yourself in the mirror, and when you do that, you see so much more than just the reflection. I wouldn't call these failures. They both taught me something in the process, and for that I'm thankful. The one on the left was a 25-minute endeavor, and the one on the right was partially done without a mirror at all. Neither one is really me, but they both capture a little bit of me in a different way.

6 comments:

Ben said...

nicely rendered, if you asked me, Rob. Nice balancing of values on the second sketch...

Rene Fijten said...

During my portrait classes I learned that resemblance is a weird thing, and more often than not disappears when trying too much. More important, the well balanced shadow parts and hatching is very good.

RobCarey said...

It's weird. I see myself when I look at it, but if I compare it to a photograph, it's not me. So there you have it- now you know what I look like when I see myself. At least on that particular night.

Howard and Eileen Dueck said...

left is best. just sayin' :)

RobCarey said...

Are you being political? ;)

Howard and Eileen Dueck said...

you know me - always a bit on the edge..... :) or maybe... over the edge?