at Lake Chabot

Lake Chabot, CA September 1, 2012. My son and I spent a few hours up at Lake Chabot today. He was throwing in a line and I was hiking around and sketching. I watched a goatherd gather a hundred goats who had strayed into the brush. Afterward, we stopped to get a burger and saw what we thought was an old man having a heart attack. I just had my CPR training a couple weeks ago, and I thought I was going to have to use it. Turns out it was insulin shock, and his entire 200 pounds suddenly went completely limp. It took every muscle in my body, and my son grabbing his feet, to put his body into the passenger side of his daughter's car. A few minutes later he started coming to, but I felt ready to collapse!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! And wonderful that you knew the right things to do...!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Bless you for helping him. I am a diabetic and have experienced insulin shock twice, it is NOT fun, the first time it happens to you, it does feel like you're having a heart attack because your heart races and you feel really strange.. it is caused by taking too much insulin and your blood sugar going really low, cure is to drink/eat sugar to get that number back up to normal. For me, once I experienced insulin shock I knew the second time when it was happening and was able to nip it in the bud so to speak. People can die from it if they don't figure out what is happening to them... so you probably saved that fellows life.

RobCarey said...

It's always hard to see people going through it. He was absolutely unable to help himself, and his poor daughter knew what was happening, so it probably wasn't the first time. I'm sure they've had to rely on whoever is around before. Just glad I pulled up when I did.

Rene Fijten said...

Some story, what happened at lake Chabot. I was telling the story to my wife and some colleagues of her (teachers as well); is CPR training compulsory for teachers in the US? Not here in the Netherlands, would be a good idea though.

RobCarey said...

Yes, I think so. It is in California. Every 2 years we have to be trained again. Of course, each time it seems they change how they teach you to respond!