a minute

wheelbarrow October 19, 2012. Again, stepping farther away from ink and playing around with only the watercolor. I had the opportunity to hear Wes Stafford speak again today; the head of Compassion International. Although I've heard his story before, it impacted me again with equal force as the first time I heard it. Having endured horrific abuse as a child, he has become one of the strongest defenders of children today. His point today was the power of a minute. In one minute you can crush the spirit of a child, or you can empower a child for a lifetime. Our words have incredible power. We can change the next generation simply by taking time with our kids, and speaking into them words that encourage them and point them in the right direction.

9 comments:

Benjamin J. said...

I must admit Ive never heard of stafford, but count on it being my next search. None the less great work. I myself too have been working toward removing line. Do you start with a pencil sketch or do you go straight onto watercolor? Id love to talk to you more.

thank you,
Benjamin j.

RobCarey said...

Wes grew up in Africa, in a terrible boarding situation. He was speaking to a group of educators today about the power of speaking truth into children's lives.
I started with a pencil sketch on this. Nothing heavy, just light scribbles to help me put things where they go.

Jane Hannah said...

I have loved your sketches with ink... but now you are making me love your work even more. This is so beautiful... lonely, forlorn, alone, and your colours are showing the spirit. Beautiful work ;-)

Benjamin J. Melgares said...

Thanks for the insight rob. Means a lot to me, especially being that I recently had begun working on removing my ink lines. Check my work out if you get a chance. Leave me some thoughts on anything you think I could work on or any tips to improve.

Thank you again,
Benjamin j.

www.bmelgares.com

RobCarey said...

Thank you, Jane. It's going to take me some time to feel comfortable without ink, but I enjoy the new freedom.

Benjamin- I'll check out your sketches right now. Thanks for sharing them.

RobCarey said...

Benjamin- your work reminds me of Jason Das. Are you familiar with him?

Benjamin J. Melgares said...

Actually I got to catch up with Jason in the Dominican Republic at the Urban Sketchers Symposium this last July. He's a great guy.

So what exactly reminds you have him if I may ask :)

RobCarey said...

For example, compare your brewery sketch with this: http://flic.kr/p/8Sed1D

Benjamin J. Melgares said...

Very true, the moment you mentioned my piece I saw the similarities. Great call my friend.

Benjamin j.