homework in Hayward

homework October 23, 2012. Sketching solely in pencil is starting to grow on me. My son was sitting there doing his homework, and my wife was putting some stuff away in the kitchen. Oh, and I can't forget the dog, perched on a pillow there on the sofa. The Bay area is starting to feel a little cooler these days- nothing like Germany would feel, but you can still tell it's fall. I've been looking around at the hills in Castro Valley and longing for a day when I can go out and sketch them. Report cards are due in a few days, which means the first quarter is over. Hard to believe.

8 comments:

Benjamin J. Melgares said...

As usual looks great. I too am still at it with my pencils, beginning to barely use my pens at this point. I even had to break out my h4's n h5's.

Keep the great work comming Rob,
Benjamin j.

RobCarey said...

Thanks, Benjamin. Pencils seem to give a softer, more living feel.

Rene Fijten said...

Super drawing Rob. I love the casual feel to it, the pencil&greys work very well.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere along the line I missed that you were switching to pencil. I wondered why no more pen and wash! I originally started to check your site because I was switching from pencil to pen and even took Brenda Swenson's 75 day drawing in pen challenge. So I'm laughing that I so admired your pen drawing, and was switching to pen myself, and now you are drawing in pencil!
You still do a good job, but I do miss your pen work!

RobCarey said...

Don't worry, I still plan on using the pens. In fact, I just bought a couple boxes of fine-tipped pens, so I won't put them to waste. But I've always admired those who can produce wonderful pencil sketches with watercolor washes. Here's a nice example of someone who can really do it: http://www.courtartist.com/

Rene Fijten said...

wow, that man can draw portraits! thanks for the link.

Benjamin J. Melgares said...

I also feel that the use of pen somewhat takes away from the natural feel of a piece and gives it too much of a cartoony feeling. However I don't really see that when it comes to your work.

RobCarey said...

Thanks. This sketch was fun to do because there was no pressure. It turned out better than I expected.