üben

Oakland, CA October 18, 2012. No pens tonight. Just a light pencil sketch with a few layers of watercolor. It's a direction I'd like to try for a while, even though I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. But that's a good place to be. It's the same feeling I get when I'm engaging in a conversation in German. I have just enough grammar and vocabulary to sound like I know what I'm doing, but it isn't long before my shortcomings are obvious. Nevertheless, if you put yourself in that situation enough, you begin to pick up little fragments of improvement here and there. I'm not interested in finishing this sketch. In fact, I should have stopped before this point. But it's ok, because the process taught me things I will hopefully remember next time.

7 comments:

Diminished Sanity said...

Very nice, light touch. I enjoy your art.

RobCarey said...

thank you, DS.

Rene Fijten said...

Actually it's very good, except for the shadow under the roofgutter. That draws too much attention. The light touch of the planking turns out very well.

RobCarey said...

I agree. I'd like to throw out the tree and start over with that too. I'm working on another one tonight. What is more fun?

Owl said...

I actually like the depth and form of the tree against the whiteness of the facade, for me it defines and strengthens the foreground. Together with the blue touch of the sky I find the effect most pleasing.

RobCarey said...

Thanks, Owl. It's what stopped me on the street in the first place- the stark whiteness of the house against the trees on the right.

Rene Fijten said...

I agree with Owl 100%