Oakland sketching

Oakland, CA November 19, 2012. My daughter came home from college for Thanksgiving, and my dad flew up from Long Beach for a few days to see our place in Hayward and surprise my son for his birthday. It's been great having both of them here. Yesterday, my dad and son went to a Raiders game and my daughter and I hung out in Oakland until it was over. I found this spot to sketch, and was able to sketch most of it until a few police cars showed up and apparently were making an arrest. I felt like it was time to move on, so we took off. It's always a bit awkward sketching in neighborhoods. People get suspicious.

4 comments:

Owl said...

Another fine sketch Rob, I particularly like the effect of the sky and tones at the base of the telegraph pole. Both help to give a depth to the overall sketch.

Rene Fijten said...

Yes great sketch, Rob, also well composed! I know what you mean about drawing in neighbourhoods. Cities are much easier.

Diminished Sanity said...

Great sketch. I really enjoy your work and the fire hydrant is really cool. I like hydrants for some reason.
The police probably would not have bothered you. They have bigger fish to fry than someone with a pencil, brushes and paper. They might have been concerned about your safety though, depending on the neighborhood.

RobCarey said...

Thank you all!