unplugging

fVoKVc January 29, 2013. I'm reading an interesting book that I picked up at the local library called "The Art of Conversation." It is causing me to rethink the whole idea of blogging and social networking again- not to mention the impact of the media in general. As I've mentioned before, I unplugged and eventually threw away our family television set. I've never regretted that decision. Life is too short to waste away precious hours entertaining myself with mindless banter. Now this book is causing me to take a critical look at other media and how it has impacted genuine communication and relationships. I know my tendency is to start out too extreme on these things, and I've deleted my blog a couple times in the past and shut down my Facebook account more than once. I don't want to throw my computer out the window. I simply can't function in life without it- this is a sad fact. If I had it my way, the rest of my life would be spent reading good books, listening to good music, talking to good friends, teaching kids, making good art, taking long walks, and most importantly, developing my relationships with God and the amazing people he has put in my life. To keep things in perspective, I believe the internet has done some good things. I just now want less of it. It's a tool. But like cell phones, the tool can so easily take the place of real communication and steal what we have so little of- time with one another.

5 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

I know exactly where you're coming from... sometimes I look at my family during holidays and special occasions, and we're all sitting there absorbed in our own social media and ignoring one another... There is a real danger that we, as a society, are going to completely lose the skill of verbal face-to-face communication, I think!

Katherine Thomas said...

This drawing is really good, by the way. :)

RobCarey said...

I think you're right. Gotta be so intentional these days.

Eric Lay said...

I am so tempted to follow your lead on unplugging the television set Rob. Our family does have an active social and familial relationship but there are still too many hours in the week spent staring at the media machine.

Cheers and keep drawing.

RobCarey said...

I had a hard time consistently regulating it as a parent. And then there's the issue of regulating not only the minutes of watching, but the content itself. Often, it's the content of the programming that disturbs me the most, and it's hard knowing how to regulate that. Just because it's a "kid's show" doesn't mean it's teaching good stuff.